March is a time of year that often inspires a good spring clean! It tends to involve clearing unwanted items from the home/ garage/ wardrobe, reorganising personal space, and generally going a bit Marie Kondo… or for the green-fingered among us, perhaps creating a fresh and improved outdoor space. Whatever it is, once it’s done, the results often leave one with feelings of great satisfaction (and mild exhaustion).
I for one will probably embark on some sort of ‘spring clean’, or at least think about it!
So – whilst we’re on the topic, how about a spring clean for yourself? I don’t mean a shower (let’s hope that’s already a regular occurrence…) but more of a pause and reset. Many of you reading this article are committed to helping others – it comes naturally and is also part of your profession. In the midst of unpredictable and demanding working environments, I think it’s important to be reminded that before you can help others, you need to help yourself… And this is not something to be sniffed at or overlooked!
Here are 6 ideas to get you started with your pause and reset:
- Listen to some music from one of the happiest periods in your life
- Try to come up with 3 positive aspects of some difficulties you’re currently facing
- Disconnect from the internet, news and media for a full day
- Recreate/ plan a favourite trip that you’ve done with a loved one or good friend
- Calve some time out to read a brilliant book or watch a great film… the tasks can wait!
- Smile at yourself in the mirror until it becomes genuine
What else would you add? Let me know in the comments!